Theme: ” Acting together to empower Women, Youths, and Communities to end poverty”
Poverty reduction is one of the most important challenges of India. It is proposed that the private sector has an important role to play in creating the economic growth, employment, and purchasing options needed for significant poverty reduction. Poverty is highly correlated with many negative measurable aspects of standards of living and therefore reducing poverty can have a positive impact on the lives of millions of people around the world. There is much to learn about poverty reduction through examining examples in Asia, as it is the region of the world that has both the most people currently living in poverty and has had the most success in reducing poverty. Each individual living in poverty, like the rest of us, is an imperfect human who often makes poor choices.No poverty reduction program ever designed has been able to prevent individuals from making poor choices. The poor should neither be completely blamed for their condition nor absolved of all responsibility for their condition. Poverty reduction should be an issue individuals from all political backgrounds can work together to achieve.
Why the study of China is important to understand Poverty reduction methods?
- China is the 1st Asian nation to eradicate poverty by the year 2020.
- In China, rapid economic growth has lifted more than 850 million people out of absolute poverty since the beginning of economic reforms in the late 1970s, contributing to about 70% of worldwide poverty reduction.
- China has achieved this by sustainable development method, utilizing tourism and culture as a major tool.
Through this seminar, we wish to discuss the following agendas –
- the issues of Poverty in India
- How Women, Youths, and Communities can come together to achieve Poverty alleviation
- How culture and tourism can play a major role in eradicating poverty
- Discuss what are the lessons we can learn from countries such as China to alleviate Poverty
SESSION 1 – (April 3rd, 2021
- Dr. Ram Mohan Singh -Assistant Professor Faculty in the Department of Physical Education & Sports, Pondicherry University
- Dr. Das Bikash Kali – Deputy Director, XuFancheng Culture study center
- Miss Saranya Maran – Convenor – Pondicherry Youth Entrepreneurs network
notes: a) To enable Youths in developing tourism by involving them in different areas. b) Start working on community-wise sustainable development projects. c)Decentralisation -identify the local area and uniqueness-based requirements. d) Developing tourism based on rural life e)Inclusivity – Empowerment – Exploring new horizons – Freedom for Children to experience rural tourism. f)Exploring your own talents. g) Tapping each other strength Rural+Urban h)Learning to be responsible i)Think globally and act locally j)Community based business model for Poverty alleviation.
SESSION 2 – (April 4th, 2021 )
- Smt. Shanthi Shankar – Education consultant, Owner Bright education consultancy
- Mr. Victor Inparaj D – M.A., B.Ed., M.H.R. Lecturer in English Amalorpavam Higher Secondary School
- Mr. Gobidhan – Convenor -Pondicherry Youth Entrepreneurs network
notes a) Poverty – Basic needs b)Teaching to learn how to earn! c)Tourism in villages – sustainable development – Nature conservation d)Village homestays business model e)Hands-on Clay f)Taking tourism to the village g) Working at the grassroots level for poverty reduction h)India-China not similar geographically, so the solution for poverty alleviation also may not be the same. i) Education – irradicating illiteracy -Developing skills – Skill competency j) Promoting skills for future generations to generate money
Session 3- (April 10th, 2021 )
- Mr. Leo:- (Mech. Engineer), Dip (B2) – Owner Serenity Beach Inn, Tour translator, and Guide
- Miss Saranya Maran: Convenor -Pondicherry Youth Entrepreneurs network
- Mr. Gobidhan:- Convenor -Pondicherry Youth Entrepreneurs network
- Mr. Mohan Raj -Student Topic: Student view on poverty elevation and how it can be eradicated
Session 4 – (April 11th, 2021 )
- Dr. S. Bascarane – CGO to Lt Governor Puducherry, Inspector, and web officer
- Dr.T.C.Mohanam – Retired Professor of Economics, Head of the Department of Economics from PG center, Government of Puducherry
- Dr.Das Bikash Kali (Dep.Director-XuFancheng Culture Study center
- Mr. Mohan Raj -Engineering Student
- Mr. Logeshwaran. V and Mr.Sathyanarayanan .V Engineering Students